5 Sept 2013

Welcome Back!


Welcome back to school everyone.  I hope you are all rested and raring to go!  We are looking forward to the new academic year and have some exciting things to share including news about our new e-book lending platform - VLe Books. I will be blogging about it in due course.

During the summer I did quite a bit of reading starting with Noble Conflict by Malorie Blackman, the current Children’s Laureate and writer of the fantastic Noughts and Crosses saga. It was fast paced and  exciting and I am looking forward to Ms Blackman's visit to BGS in November.





I then moved on to Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. All I can say is - don’t believe the hype! It was well written but I saw the plot twist coming a mile off.  I also disliked both main characters intensely.  I think the author was going for this effect but it is not something I like in a book. I also read Dark Places by the same author. That one stayed with me for a while (it was quite intense) but the ending was a bit of a let down.  Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman was fun and weird and NOS4RTU by Joe Hill was creepy but in a good way!

At the moment, I’m re-reading Wolves of the Calla by my favourite author, Stephen King and loving it the second time around. I’m loosely following the blog ‘Re-reading Stephen King’ by James Smythe in the Guardian Online (though I’m way behind). Too many books, so little time!  

Lined up next - The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling).

Let us know what you read during the summer!

Mrs Osafo